Remember the old saying, “money begets money”? That has a ring of truth to it when you consider how our staff members are able to leverage state and county investments to extend our programming to a larger audience. Grants have long been the cornerstone of university research and Extension. Take a look at some of the grants our team has landed recently.
- Terry McLean in Genesee County recently received $39,000 from the Ruth Mott Foundation for urban agriculture programs.
- Kea Boyd in Wayne County now has $400,000 to expand the Mentoring Program to include group mentoring opportunities.
- Oakland County’s Bev Terry and Tom Schneider received $25,000 from the Americana Foundation to start Youth Farm Stand projects at The Tollgate Center and in Pontiac.
- Saginaw County and its surrounding region, under the direction of Deanna East, will be funded as part of the Early Childhood Investment Corporation’s program for Child Care Training.
- Dan Pavuk, vegetable educator in Monroe County and Ohio garnered a sizeable Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education grant.
Several team members will reap the benefits from the Wal-Mart Foundation Healthy Living Youth Grants. The goal of these grants is to mobilize youth in 15 states to take action around three healthy living priorities—nutrition, physical fitness, and safety; and to develop and begin implementing their action plans. Expectations are high for these grants. Each grantee must reach a minimum of 500 young people and their families in rural, suburban, and urban communities for each $50,000 grant awarded.
Twenty-eight applications were submitted from 26 states. Michigan was among the only 15 states chosen to receive the grant. B’Onko Sadler and Julie Chapin were instrumental in bringing it to Michigan. In turn, 13 staff members will help carry out the program. Congratulations to all!
- Joyce Belonga, Mackinac County
- Janet Wendland, Saginaw County
- Deb Gierke, Schoolcraft County
- Rukeia Draw, Wayne County
- Vicki Nelson, Gogebic County
- Melanie Chiodini, Huron, Sanilac, St. Clair, and Tuscola County
- Jessica Smith Poulsen, Cass County
- Connie Lange, Branch County
- Carol Kreher, Houghton and Keweenaw
- Patricia Roth, Benzie County
- Rebecca Krans, Dickinson County
- Nancy Persing, Crawford County
- Cindy Fischer, Washtenaw County
What grant successes have you had lately? Tell us about them in the comment section of my blog!