On April 27 and 28, Michigan State University Extension, in partnership with the Geriatric Education Center of Michigan (GECM), held a conference in Grand Rapids for health care professionals titled “An Interdisciplinary Approach to Assessment and Care of Older Adults.” The conference is part of a five-year grant from GECM that enables the MSUE-GECM team to provide yearly education to multidisciplinary groups of health care professionals on the specific topics covered in the conference.
The 118 health care professionals participating were able to attend presentations and take part in discussions around assessment of the cognitive, physical and social capabilities of older adults, including their nutritional status, in order to identify appropriate resources that support an optimal quality of life for each person.
Physicians, physician assistants, social workers, dentists, dental hygienists and nurses received CMEs and CEUs (continuing education credits) for attending the conference.
Pat Joyce, Extension health and nutrition educator and a member of the Grand Rapids GECM team for the past four years, was the host for the second day of the conference. Monica Smith, Extension health and nutrition educator, was a presenter and spoke on nutrition and aging. Jeffrey Dwyer, Ph.D., associate dean for research and community engagement in MSU’s College of Human Medicine and principal investigator for this grant, welcomed the attendees.
Additional topics covered included:
- Continuous Quality Improvement by Deedre Vriesman, M.A., and Suzann Ogland-Hand, Ph.D., MSU adjunct assistant professor
- Dementia: Cognitive Screening by Lou Nykamp, M.D., MSU clinical assistant professor
- Dementia: Implement Best Practices by Suzann Ogland-Hand
- Depression and Suicide in Later Life by Jackie Hiskes, registered nurse, and Suzann Ogland-Hand
- Falls in the Older Adult by Chris Boer, physical therapist;
- Functional Assessment I and II by Gwen Brandt, M.D., and Iris Boettcher, M.D., MSU clinical associate professor
- Oral Health for the Elderly by Domenica (Nikki) Sweier, D.D.S., Ph.D.
Find additional information about this conference at http://www.pinerest.org/event-gecm.